Let’s face it – you won’t become good at essay writing without spending a lot of time practicing.
Finding what to write about when you don’t have a specific task may prove to be quite daunting. Here is a list of 20 excellent essay prompts that can help you out.
- Many believe that violence in video games makes people more tolerant towards violence and increases crime rate. Do you agree?
- A genre of Bildungsroman (a coming of age story) is and always was a very popular genre in literature. Discuss the theme using a book of your choice.
- A lot of research is based on animal experimentation. Many people consider it unethical, because animals do feel pain. Those in support of experimentation claim that humanity’s interests come first. What is your opinion and why?
- A saying states that you shouldn’t judge a book by its cover. Describe a situation in which you misjudged somebody based on their appearance, or were thus misjudged.
- Think about a photo or picture that is especially important to you (for any reason). Describe it.
- Surveillance camera in public places can make the job of law enforcement much easier, but many people consider them to be violating our right to privacy. What is your opinion?
- What is your favorite book (movie, any work of fiction)? Why? Persuade the reader to read/watch it.
- What is your favorite activity/pastime? Why? Persuade the reader to try it out.
- The war on drugs waged by the USA takes up enormous resources without seemingly decreasing the amount of drugs in circulation. Many claim that all it does is create beneficial conditions for organized crime. What is your opinion?
- Describe a situation in which you witnessed something unbelievable.
- Peer pressure is a powerful force that often forces us to do things we really don’t want to do. Describe a time you gave in to it.
- There are many sides to any story. Describe a time when your opinion about a situation completely changed after hearing someone else’s point of view.
- All things are difficult before they are easy. Describe a time when you were surprised with something you were able to do.
- A lie may look like an easiest way out of a difficult situation, but sometimes it may have serious consequences. Describe such a situation in your life.
- Choose an adjective that you think best describes you and explain why.
- Some people believe that reading fiction is a waste of time. Do you agree, and why?
- Is there a book that, in your opinion, should be a required reading for everyone? Why? Persuade the reader to read it.
- Do you believe in extraterrestrial life? Persuade the audience to share your point of view.
- Describe a major ecological problem and what you thing should be done about it.
- Have you ever forgotten something really important? Describe your experience.
The next time you are assigned a freeform essay or want to practice a little bit, try out some of this prompts. Good luck writing!
About the Author
Steven Arndt is a passionate writer, educator and a former History teacher. He tends to reconsider the role of modern education in our society and watches with awe the freedom the youth now has.